Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nestum Cereal Crispy Cookies



This is another cookie recipe that I totally have no record or memory where I got it from, as it was hand-written by me it a miserable piece of old 'chinese tear-off type of calendar' (if you know what I meant, hehe)......but I'll definitely make it again, and it is a sure keeper as the texture of these cookies are awesome. You can almost smell the buttery smell in the whole kitchen when the cookie is almost done baking, and best of all, it's crunchy from the inside out unlike most of the cookies that I made previously, all of which are always crunchy on the outside only, when it comes to the centre of the cookies.......it's a little 'soggy' or 'cakey' .......making me wonder if I have underbake it or what?

So, as promise to some 'Baking Friends', here is the recipe and I have added some of my own notes (in green) to it, hope it helps enhance the outcome of the cookies J

Here's the ingredients:

400 gm plain flour / superfine flour ( I used HK Plain Flour)

300gm Butter, at room temperature

150gm Nestum Cereal (I spread it on a baking tray and roast it at 160 degree Celsius for about 15-20 mins to get a more fragrant and crunchier cereal)

4 egg yolks

200gm Icing sugar (I already adjusted , so it's not sweet)


Method:

  1. Mix egg yolks, butter and icing sugar with hand until icing sugar is melted. (However, I used the mixer, hate to get messy hands, hehe)
  2. Add in Nestum cereal and plain flour and knead to form a dough.
  3. Greased and lined the baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 160 degree Celsius.
  4. Take a small amount of the dough and knead into a ball, put it on the tray and flatten it using the back of a fork, or if you prefer it to be just smooth round, and do the same with the rest of the dough.
  5. Glaze the top of the cookies with egg yolk and bake at pre-heated oven of 160 degree Celsius for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Leave to cool on the wire rack before storing into air-container.



 Happy Cookies Baking!!
Counting down to Chinese New Year....another 1 week to go!!

2 comments:

DG said...

They look perfect. Happy Chinese New Year!

Mumto4Angels said...

Hi DG, Thanks you so much, Gong Xi Fatt Cai!! :)