Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blueberry Yoghurt Oreo Chiffon Cake


This week has been quite a busy week for me, as I was flying to 2 destinations within a period of one week, though there was a few days break in between. I was in KL on a Friday and back on the same day, then the following Wednesday, I was on a 2D1N to Sandakan. The last trip I was in KL was during the Chinese New Year, and whereas the last time I was in Sandakan was last October for our company's roadshow.
Anyway, since I was back in time for the weekend, and Saturday was a PH - Wesak Day, so I planned it out that I will bake something.
I have recently been busy with my 'Sugar Cookies' preparation for two June wedding orders. Though you might say that I still a month to get things done, but because I'm doing every little piece of work all by myself, so I really need the time planned out nicely , in order I don't have to rush things last minutely :P
As you might have known, I'm a mother of 4 and juggling work and orders at the same time.........it has never been easy, but I like it, as I find that these are the things that keeps me young and energetic (or at least I thought so, hehehe).
OK, today I chose to bake something light and healthy, not something that is rich, creamy and cheesy  (although that is what I normally like).......and tadah......."Blueberry Yoghurt Oreo Chiffon Cake".
Hope you like this cake, as I found that it's really soft, moist and light at the same time. My kids used to comment Chiffon Cakes to be a bit dry, although they like the fluffy soft texture, but this one, the whole cake was gone in a short half and hour. Luckily, before I lay it on the dining table for them to eat, I managed to cut 1/3 of it to be given to Ian's friend (Jonathan)'s mum, Judy.  She texted me the following morning saying that her husband and Jonathan loved the cake very much, but they find that it's a little bit sweet. I could have guessed as I did not lessen the sugar usage (which I should have, forgotten about it) and because the blueberry yoghurt is already a sweetened one, so it definitely adds additional sweetness to it. (p/s: So remember to adjust your sugar level when you make ya, as I will be posting the original recipe, without my alteration) ^-^

The 24" inch tube pan.........ready for baking now
Here it is the recipe for :
BLUEBERRY YOGHURT OREO CHIFFON CAKE
Ingredients
150gm cake flour
100gm blueberry yogurt (I used Nestle Low fat blueberry yoghurt)
6 eggs yolks, room temperature
1 tsp baking powder
100gm castor sugar
A pinch of salt
100gm vegetable oil (I used Canola oil)

6 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
100gm castor sugar (please decrease if you want a less sweet cake - 70gm would be fine)
50gm Blueberry Oreo Cookies, cut into tiny chunks
some blueberry paste or purple colour for the purplish look, optional *

Method
  1. Pre heat your oven to 150 degree Celsius, middle rack.
  2. Whisk the egg yolks and castor sugar in a medium bowl , till light pale and double in size.
  3. Add in the blueberry yoghurt, and then the oil. Mix in till blended, then add in the sifted flour + baking powder and salt. Mix until the batter is fully incorporated, set aside.
  4. In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar till frothy, slowly add in the sugar in a few batch while whisking. Whisk until soft peak and glossy.
  5. Add 1/3 off the egg white meringue into the egg yolk batter and gently fold in using a spatula till combined. Add in the remaining egg white meringue to the batter, and continue to fold in until its fully incorporated.
  6. Pour half the batter into a 22" inch tube pan (I used a 24" inch tube pan, cos I don't have a 22"), sprinkle the Blueberry Oreo chunk bits on it, then pour the remaining batter and sprinkle the rest of the Oreo blueberry chunks.
  7. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes or less (depending on your oven), or until the skewer inserted to the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
  8. Take the cake out of the oven, turn your tube pan upside -down and let cool. Once it's cool, use a sharp knife to release the side and the centre of the cake, and bring the cake to completely cool on the wire rack. 
  9. Enjoy!!

Happy Baking ladies and Happy Wesak Day to those who are celebrating!!

p.s : By the way, just a sneak peek for you guys on how my little girl, Angelica invent her own play toys and stuffs. .....hehe

She used a box to build her 'house'....
Angel taking a nap in her 'house'......
See how slumber my little girl is, sleeping in her DIY 'Home Sweet Home'.....hahaha

No comments: