Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cream Cheese Butter Cake

I know a lot of people would prefer the old traditional plain butter cake. My MIL taught me to make a traditional butter cake when I first started to bake, that was 3 months ago.......time really flies! I was so happy that the first butter cake turned out smooth and buttery. After that, I find that just plain butter cake is too plain........and was forever trying to add something to it so that it comes out with something more unique, not that the traditional one is not special.......but to me, it's just too plain a butter cake :P
Then, I bought myself a "I Love Butter Cake" cookbook by Kevin Chai. I have tried his "Chocolate Cheese Butter Cake" and it was a hit, everyone ate that cake gave their thumbs up.....^-^  So, last night was one of those nights that as usual, the kids asked me to bake something for them to bring to school the next day........ and even though the clock shows 8.45pm, I agreed to bake for them......Initially , Ian asked for something that has coffee in it, but too bad......I ran out of coffee and Hubby haven't replenish the coffee bottle, so tough luck Ian.
So, there again, I stand there next to the bookshelf running my fingers through those cookbooks and......Butter Cake came to my mind, as I would thought that this would be the simplest cake and requires no 'hard to get' ingredients. I chose to bake this "Cream Cheese Butter Cake" instead of the plain one is because I'm also trying to get rid of the block of cream cheese sitting in my fridge for a week already.
So, measured up all the required ingredients and started. But, hey, to tell you the truth, this book is really worth investing, as I this is the second recipe I tried, and it too came out perfect, and even my MIL praised me for it , the cake was really smooth, moist and rich in both butter and cheese flavor......yummy!
Happy Cake Baking.....fellas!

CREAM CHEESE BUTTER CAKE
200gm Butter (I used 220gm , cos that's the last batch of butter in the fridge, so get rid of it, haha)
200gm Cream Cheese 
250gm castor sugar (I used only 150gm)
5 eggs
250gm Plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp strawberry jam ( I didn't because I was a bit lazy to decorate)

Method
  1. Grease and line 20cm (8 -inch) baking pan. Preheat oven to 180~C.
  2. Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
  4. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, mix until well blended. Spread batter into prepared tin.
  5. Spoon fruit jam into piping bag and pipe circle pattern over the top. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Happy Baking!

No comments: